Job title: HR Manager (Maternity cover – fixed term contract)
Reporting to: Head of HR, EMEA
Location: Castle Mills, Kendal
Main role and responsibilities
In general, the HR Manager is expected to: –
• Ensure that the organisation is employing the right people, with the right skills and qualifications for the job
• Understand how the organisation operates, its business requirements and commercial objectives. You will work very closely with other departments and provide an information resource for both employees and senior management
• Manage HR across multiple sites including Kendal, Blackburn, Walton Summit and Hemel Hempstead
The HR Manager is expected to carry out/oversee at least the following:-
• Employment law – working conditions, disciplinary and grievance procedures, equal opportunities, redundancies, paternity pay and maternity rights.
• Recruitment – hiring staff, producing job descriptions, placing adverts, working with recruitment consultancies, organising interviews and running induction seminars.
• Training and development – putting together and maintaining a staff training programme and identifying suitable courses for staff.
• Salary reviews – researching salaries and ensuring they are in line with legal requirements and industry standards. Maintains a pay plan by conducting periodic pay surveys; scheduling and conducting job evaluations; preparing pay budgets; monitoring and scheduling individual pay actions; recommending, planning, and implementing pay structure revisions
• Documentation – writing staff handbooks, contracts, staff memos, and issuing written offers of employment, promotion etc.
• Work closely with company lawyers and advisors where necessary
• Ensures planning, monitoring, and appraisal of employee work results by training managers to coach and discipline employees; scheduling management conferences with employees; hearing and resolving employee grievances; counselling employees and supervisors.
• Maintains employee benefits programs and informs employees of benefits by studying and assessing benefit needs and trends; recommending benefit programs to management; directing the processing of benefit claims; obtaining and evaluating benefit contract bids; awarding benefit contracts; designing and conducting educational programs on benefit programs.
• Ensures legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable human resource federal and state requirements; conducting investigations; maintaining records; representing the organization at hearings
• Maintains historical human resource records by designing a filing and retrieval system; keeping past and current records.
• Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
• Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
• Absence and Capability- Supporting and coaching managers through differing people challenges to ensure the best outcome is achieved. Oversight of all ‘long term’ absences and attend and support care meetings as appropriate
• Manages, leads or contributes to HR projects
• HR Analytics- Maintain and analyse key HR data metrics, identifying key areas for improvement
• Managing the payroll function, processing payroll during holiday cover and authorising payrolls as necessary
• Assisting the Ireland based HR Manager with advice and support where necessary
Skills and Abilities
• Fantastic written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to organise own workload and use initiative
• Confident under pressure and able to handle multifaceted objectives
• High level of organisation
• Efficient with thorough methods of working
• Must be willing and able to travel between sites
• Minimum 3 years HR Management experience
• Experience in managing people
• Experience in processing payroll
• Experience of Irish employment law desired but not essential
Training and Qualifications
• CIPD level 5 or above